Gearing up for the Austin Food & Wine Festival
Next week, Purple Cowboy Wines and Cowgirl Sisterhood wines will be poured at the Austin Food & Wine Festival, April 26-28. Renowned chefs, including Marcus Samuelson, Tim Love and Graham Elliot will be at the Festival sharing their expertise in cooking demos and seminars spanning three days.
For food lovers, Austin is “heaven.” We’ve been looking forward to eating and drinking in Austin for months! From brisket to tacos, Mexican martinis to queso – we plan on exploring as many of Austin’s establishments as our waistlines will allow. Check out the list of places we plan on stopping by in this Wine Sisterhood blog post.
In honor of our trip to Texas at the end of the month for Austin Food & Wine, we thought we would share one of our favorite Austin treats – Queso!
Purple Cowboy’s CRAZY Queso Dip
– 4 oz. Mexican chorizo, casing discarded
– ¾ C. finely chopped white onion
– 1 C. seeded and finely chopped ripe tomato
– 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
– 1 t. dried oregano
– ½ C. dry white wine
– 9 oz. Monterey Jack and/or cheddar cheeses
– 2 T. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
– Tortilla Chips for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Combine the chorizo and onion in a non-stick sauté pan or skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the chorizo into small pieces, until nicely browned, about 7 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomato, chiles and oregano and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes longer.
4. Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch shallow casserole or baking dish and stir in the grated cheese.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cheese just melts, about 3 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve immediately with tortilla chips.
7. Dig in!